Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mile High Comics vs. My Comic Shop

I try and always buy my comics locally (and while I'm on that note, if you're in Portland check out Excalibur), but when I'm trying to find certain back issues and have to hunt online I shop at one of two sites: milehighcomics.com and mycomicshop.com

Mile High Comics is known for having a slightly pricier baseline, but they are also known for always having a 60% off sale running. They are actually the first site I ever bought comics online from. Over the years I have had good luck being able to find sometimes uncommon issues that with the discount would be a reasonable priced.

Recently that has changed. I have found that the last few times I have looked for comics (and all different types of comics), Mile High would still have lower prices on single issues (some of the time), but often these were surrounded by highly over-priced comics (even with the discount).

My Comic Shop on the other hand seems to simply have more consistent of prices, and on average lower pricing then Mile High, though they didn't always have as many of the grading options in stock.

Here are some examples of recent issues I was looking at:

Avengers Fairy Tale Issue #2 (VF)
Mile High Comics (with 60% off): $1.56
My Comic Shop: $1.30
Avengers Fairy Tale Issue #4 (VF)
Mile High Comics (with 60% off): $2.18
My Comic Shop: $2.10

 
 

Life During War #5 (VF)
Mile High Comics (with 60% off): $1.02
My Comic Shop: $1.60
Life During War #6 (VF)
Mile High Comics (with 60% off): $1.10
My Comic Shop: $.90


 
Casanova #1 Image (VF)
Mile High Comics (with 60% off): $5.38
My Comic Shop: $1.80
Casanova #3 Image (VF)
Mile High Comics (with 60% off): $5.38
My Comic Shop: $1.80
 


 
X-Treme X-Men 2012 #2 (NM)
Mile High Comics (with 60% off): $3.60
My Comic Shop: $3.30
X-Treme X-Men 2012 #3 (NM)
Mile High Comics (with 60% off): $7.20
My Comic Shop: $3.30



 

For these eight issues:

Mile High Comics
$27.42 + $6.00 SH = $33.42
(though orders over $30 had free shipping)

My Comic Shop
$16.10 + $4.2 SH = $20.30


And just point out how unreasonable high Mile High can be, although it wasn't one of the issues I was looking for, X-Treme X-Men #1 Variant cover was priced at $80.00 or $32.00 with discount, while at My Comic Shop this same issue was only $9.60. This kind of gross overpricing doesn't bolstered confidence in costumers.

What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a "collector", so getting "mint/near mint" isn't important to me. I just want to read and enjoy older comics.

    I don't think I've ever seen ANY book of ANY grader cheaper on Mile High than MyComicShop. Even with the discounts/sales, they're usually atleast 20% more expensive than MyComicShop.

    Also, I've read they tend to over-grade (grade them better than they are), while the latter shop doesn't.

    Although they do sometimes have good cheap deals on E-Bay, Mile high is just waaay too expensive.

    Add in the unfriendly website, and it's an easy choice: MyComicShop is far better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time I bought books from Mile High, I felt like some of them had been miss-graded :/

      I definitely <3 Ebay, half the issues of Nexus I own came from a lot buy, for an embarrassingly low $25. When I saw what good condition they were in, I felt like a bit of jerk for paying so little.

      Delete