Sunday, August 19, 2012

Health Insurance Survey Hates Whole Milk

It's that time of the year again - time to sign up for health insurance (I feel like I should preface this by saying I love my job and am grateful for my benefits-) but every time I fill out my survey I am frustrated by the dietary questions.

For some reason whole milk, butter and “full-fat” ie normal cheese is lumped in with fried foods, ice cream, transfat, and chips… WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT?


I’m sorry, but using butter to cook your veggies with, or drinking a glass of whole milk is not the same as eating a bag of chips, or a bowl of ice cream. On top of that the High-Fat Foods section doesn’t give you a serving size like the other examples do (How are you supposed to count your per day serving if they don't differentiate between a handful of potato chips and a bags worth?)

I only drink whole milk, I only buy full fat yogurt (and only the kind with live cultures), and I only buy full fat cheese. So, every year after I fill out the health survey I am informed that my nutrition is at High Risk, because I eat zero low-fat dairy products, and 3 (or more depending how you count a serving) high fat foods a day.


But if I do keel over from some whole milk induced illness, at least I have health insurance : D

No comments:

Post a Comment