Wednesday, September 14, 2011

GCU, and Color Techniques



Quick update on my online greeting card store, Kilter Cards. One of the things I like about selling through Greeting Card Universe is that they have such a wide variety of cards. If a customer can’t find the card they're looking for (no matter how specific the topic) it will be presented to those GCU artists who want to give designing one a go.

I’ve had a lot of fun trying out new designs for customer requests (so far I have done 3 of these) it has made me really stretch my wings. It’s also nice that on a more specific request you're getting the key to a subject that there are buyers for, but very few cards (ie way less competition for sales). I’m pretty excited about a recent card I made for one of these:

Yes, a Cthulhu Christmas card, wonderfully ridiculous :P

Part of what made this so fun for me is that I’ve been trying out a new technique. First I draw and ink the piece, and then I color it by hand (I’ve been using watercolor pencils). But instead of using the final tones I want for the piece I use the complementary colors. As you can see in the original artwork.
























In Photoshop I change to color using the Hue/Saturation, and then tweak the tone using the Selective Color. I’ve found that modifying the colors to their opposite digitally, and then upping the saturation give this really playful feel to the final tones (and a lot more room for modifying the color range).
















I’ve been having a lot of fun messing around with this. It’s the same coloring technique I’ve been using on the comic book I’m working on. I think the reason I enjoy it so much is becuase it walks that balance of traditional hand art and digital that I love.


And quick preview for those who care:

No comments:

Post a Comment