Sunday, January 2, 2011

Joe Kubert Correspondence Courses

While trying to decide whether or not to sign up for one of these classes, I did a lot of research (ie google searches) on the topic. A question I saw frequently come up was whether it was too expensive for what you got. Some people seemed to think $325 was a huge sum for a class that would end up being largely self motivated. So, I decided to make my own break down comparing costs.

Cost:
$325

What you receive:
1) Course Book
2) Boards
3) Art Material
4) Mailing envelopes (for assignments)
5) Practice Pages
6) DVD

The class is split into 5 sections (basically $65 dollars per section), each one ending with a Professionally critiqued assignment.

Breakdown of Costs:
Course Book & DVD (from website): $175
All Art Supplies (lets pretend you’re a savvy buyer and say): $50
5 Professional Critiques: $100*
Total: $325

*Essentially you are paying $20 dollars per assignment to have your work critiqued and drawn over by a professional.

How it compares to the cost of other Schools:

Community College:
At the community college where I live Art classes are normally 3-4 credits, meaning they cost around $265-$350

A non credit art class (of which if you are lucky a comic variety might appear) tend to be $100 + supplies.

Academy of Art:
I was attending the Academy of Art online (I already had by BA, but hoped the extra schooling would get my portfolio to the point that someone would hire me)

As an online student you would log onto a website, watch videos, read assignments, then turn in homework. The homework was personally critiqued by the teacher, but what counted as a critique varied. This meant that one of my teachers had weekly video chats where he would draw over students work live, and demonstrate techniques. While a different teacher would simply write a short paragraph emphasizing practice (which I needed) and something along the lines of: your proportions are off, bones can’t bend like that, pay attention to detail. etc.” (I am someone who learns better with visuals.)

Cost of a Class:
$2,520

So, are the Correspondence Courses worth it? I don’t know, $325 (or even the $245 I ended up paying because of the holiday sale going on) is a lot of money for a starving artist. But it seems like a good deal to me (considering the debt hole the Academy of Art was, despite the classes I loved and the experience I gained).

I guess we will see. I will be documenting my progress as I take the Penciling course, hopefully my improvement will prove this a wise investment in my artwork : )

http://www.kubertsworld.com/correspondence.html

(and for those who don't know who Joe Kubert is, nerd it up a bit, he's famous*)

Update (feelings after finishing the course)

*

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I've been aware of the existence of these correspondence courses for quite a while now, but I never was sure if it would be a good way to spend my money.
    Did you ever finish the course? What did you think of it? I've come back around to considering it as an informal education kinda thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you love to draw, if you love comic art and cartooning, then without a shadow of a doubt it is worth it!

    I've taken two of the Kubert courses, Penciling and Super Heroes and I can share that yes, I see improvement in my art!

    When I received my courses, I took the mentality that I was in school and I worked on my courses everyday, and I do mean everyday!

    Get a course, dedicate yourself and you will see improvement also!

    ReplyDelete